How Do I Receive A New Kind of Life in Christ Now?
I don’t “do” it. God “does” it. But I must “choose” it—daily
Jesus: Everyone who practices sin is a slave of sin. John 8:34b
Paul: If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. 2 Corinthians 5:17a
1. Repentance: I acknowledge my sin, and choose to re-direct my life away from self-centeredness and toward God-reliance. Matthew 4:17
2. Faith: I come to believe, not just profess (I can profess what I don’t truly believe) that Christ is who he said he was. Such belief catalyzes action. James 2:14
3. Grace: God immerses me in his grace—empowerment to do what I cannot do on my own. But he doesn’t force it on me. I must choose to access it. 2 Peter 3:18a
4. The “with-God” life: God unites me with him in a new kind of life—divine life—by grace (unearned) through faith (my choices). All benefits of Christ’s passion are now accessible; e.g., forgiveness of sin and transformation of character. John 3:5-7
Dallas Willard: Grace is not opposed to effort; grace is opposed to earning. 1 Corinthians 15:10
5. The flesh: The old life—received from parents—wars against new life with God, seeking to subvert it, Galatians 5:16-18. I learn the path to victory in discipleship
Paul: Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! Romans 7:24-25a
6. Discipleship: I am with Jesus to learn from him how to live this new life. It is not about trying harder; it is about my inner life being re-formed. Luke 6:40
Does anyone really believe that Jesus did not intend for his disciples actually to do the things he said were best—the ways of eternal life in God’s kingdom? Luke 6:46
7. Spiritual formation: The product of discipleship. Being with him, learning from him, I am gradually re-made. “Behold, the new has come.” 2 Corinthians 5:17b
8. Christlike character: Behavior expresses the condition of the heart. A heart transformed into Christlikeness makes holiness of action the norm. 1 Peter 1:14-16
Thesis: The foundational curriculum for all Christian education: Teach people how actually to live the way Jesus taught; e.g., how to learn to love one’s enemy.
Last Updated: July 15, 2018
1Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version© (ESV©), copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Copyright © George Miley. All rights reserved. This material may not be reproduced, transmitted, or stored in whole or in part by any means, including graphic, electronic, or mechanical without the express written consent of the author except in the case of brief quotations embodied in articles or reviews. To obtain permission to use this material, contact us.